Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Beard Papa's


From the photo you can pretty well guessed that Beard Papa's is in the food business. From what I was told it is very popular in Japan. Early this month they opened an outlet in Richmond. There were reports of lineups snaking around the corner.


To give you an idea of its popularity, they even placed a ceiling on the quantity a customer may purchase. I've seen people buying the maximum and it sure slowed things down.


Now this is not for anybody who is fighting the battle of the bulge. Eating a couple of these is almost as bad as chowing down a Big Mac but much less filling. It represents almost a quarter of my required daily calories. Certainly not something I would see on my regular menu.


This is what it looks like. If you said, "Hey, this is cream puff!" then you are correct. Except it is bigger than your run-of-the-mill cream puffs and baked not fried.

I happened to be in Richmond today and saw not much of a lineup. However, still have to wait 15 minutes which gave me plenty of time to take these photos. The last one was taken at home just before taking my first bite.

Is it worth it? Will I buy it again?

The answers are: no and maybe. My reaction after the first bite was is this all there is to it? Perhaps I was expecting too much because of the hype. In any case the vanilla is too subtle; could be stronger.

No comments: